Wednesday, September 10, 2008

My first night sail by Ella 10/09/08

It was the beginning of our sailing year and I was so excited. We were leaving La Coruna, a town in North West Spain, it was very nice there. It had the Tower of Hercules, we went there, it had 165 steps to the top! The view was fantastic, you could see the sea bashing against the rocks, it was so exciting.
After the tower we went to the aquarium, it had a tiny octopus there, a bout 5cm long and a genorunous shark about 4m long. My favourtie was probably the seals, they were so cute bobbing their heads up. The worst thing was that there were no dolphins there.
We set sail for a little south from where we were called Sanchenxo, whilst we were sailing we saw a whole pod of dolphins surrounding the boat, had I put my hand out I could have touched them. It was the most exciting thing of my life, they were jumping up in the air and splashing the water, it was such fun. Two of them jumped together like in a heart shape. It made me feel better because I had been feeling sea sick.
At night time we did not stop sailing, I was quite shocked because I thought we would! I took the second night watch with Daddy, which means you sail at night while the others sail the boat. It was cold so I wore my thermals, oilskins, life jacket and life line which you clip onto your life jacket and then onto the boat too, it stops you falling off the boat and over the side.
Daddy and I watched the stars, we sawthe Milky Way and Casseopia, it looks like a big 'W' in the sky. We also saw the Big and Little Dipper. I enjoyed the night watch so much but it was tiring, it felt great to come back onto land though.