Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Funchal - Capital of Maderia 21/10/08



Today we went swimming with our new snorkel and flippers. We swam around the boat in the marina. Daddy dived down and cleaned the bottom of the boat. It was really cool watching my dad dive under water. Swimming with the snorkel was really exciting, the water was really clear, you could see all the rocks down on the sea bed. I also rowed today and could see so far down in the water, I could see a boats chain and anchor, I did not know the water could be so clear.

After lunch today, we drove to the capital of Maderia, which is called Funchal. We looked around for mum´s birthday presents as it is 4 days till her birthday, I am really pleased with what I have bought for her.

The most exciting thing of the day was travelling in a cable car to the top of the volcanic mountains of Funchal. The view was amazing we could see nearly everything, the banana trees looked so small from so high up. At the top we walked a little bit and we found the tradtional tobboggan sleighs of Funchal. These are like baskets on skis, the men push and pull you down very steep narrow roads for about a mile. they go so fast, it was great fun. I rode with Dad and Jack was with Mum. Afterwards we had to walk down the rest of the way, the roads were so steep, Mummy even got a blister on her foot.

We like Maderia and think we will stay another 3 days before we leave for a three night sail to the Canaries, we have not decided exactly where to go yet, but we have to be in Tenerife on the 4th of Nov as Bestefar is coming out to see us.

Thank you to Sean and Olivia for sending us a parcel to Maderia it was so0 exciting opening it up. I have already read Bill´s New Frock, I think I am now a book worm.

No comments: